Sotir Polena, M.D.
Director of Vein Center
Dr. Sotir Polena graduated from the University of Tirana School of Medicine, Tirana, Albania. He did his internship and residency and was chief resident at Flushing Hospital Medical Center. He did his cardiovascular fellowship at Lenox Hill Hospital and did his interventional cardiology training at Lenox Hill Hospital.
Dr. Polena is an attending interventional cardiologist at Huntington Hospital, North Shore University Hospital at Manhasset, South Side Hospital and St. Francis Hospital.
Dr. Polena is Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiovascular Diseases. He is a diplomate of American Board of Venous & Lymphatic Disease.
Dr. Polena joined The Huntington Heart Center in 2009.
Dr. Polena has participated in and authored numerous research trials and publications including:
- ECT more accurately reflects bivalirudin concentration than ACT in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention using bivalirudin anticoagulation. J. Am Coll Cardiol. 2012:60
- Comparison of a point of care plateley function testing to light transmission aggregometry in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention pretreated with aspirin and clopidogrel point of care: J. of Near-Patient Testing & Tecnology. 10(1):35-39
- Carotid stenting and bivalirudin with and without vascular closure: 3-year analysis of procedural outcomes. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2010 Feb 15;75(3):420-6.
- Stent gap by 64-detectr computed tomographic angiography relationship to in-stent restenosis, fractre, and overlap failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009 Nov 17;54(21):1949-59
- Postpartum intramural hematoma-evaluation by computed tomographic angiography. J Clin Hypertens(Greenwich). 2009 Nov;11(11):656
- Platelet aggregation inhibition in patients receiving statins either fully or partially metabolized by CYP3A4. Proc. West. Pharmacol. Soc. 2008
- Coronary artery disease risk factors in patients with diastolic dysfunction. Proc. West. Pharmacol. Soc. 2008
- Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy: Case report and review of the literature. Proc. West. Pharmacol. Soc. 2008
- Prognostic significance of systolic blood pressure increase in men during exercise stress testing. Am J Cardiol. 2007. Dec 1. 100(11): 1609-13
- Systemic assessment of arterial wall structure and function in metabolic syndrome. Proc. West. Pharmacol. Soc.2007;50:123-130
- Intramural hematoma as a manifestation of severe atherosclerotic disease of the aortic arch. JKAMA 2006, 12:97-100
- Lithium carbonate-induced adult respiratory distress syndrom. JKAMA 2006; 49: 92-94
- Serpent-like thrombus in a patent foramen ovale presenting with right sided hemiparesis. JKAMA 2005, 11:74-76
E-mail Dr. Polena: email@example.com